EBSCO Information Services (EIS) provides a complete and optimized research solution comprised of e-journals, e-books, and research databases — all combined with the most powerful discovery service to support the information needs and maximize the research experience of our end-users. Headquartered in Ipswich, MA, EIS employs more than 3,300 people worldwide. We are the leader in our field due to our cutting-edge technology, forward-thinking philosophy, and top-notch workforce. EIS, a division of EBSCO Industries Inc., based in Birmingham, AL, is ranked in the top 200 of the nation’s largest, privately held corporations according to Forbes magazine. EBSCO is a company that will motivate you, inspire you, and allow you to grow. We are looking for the best. If you are too, we encourage you to explore our unique opportunities.
As a Senior Software Engineer, you will work on an Agile development team building, testing and deploying Java-based microservices to support EBSCO products and services for our customers. You will create information products and services that inform the world, advancing research in traditional and emerging fields and transforming learning and education. As a member of an Agile development team, you will design, develop and demonstrate software in 1- or 2-week iterations as part of an Agile Release Train developing to a SAFe Program Increment. You will make commitments to the business and meet those commitments as a team. You will strive for continuous improvement in knowledge and productivity, and display a pattern of continual learning and a desire to broaden your software development and design skills.
What you’ll do
- Provide expertise on system design, implementation, testing and delivery of Java-based microservices to support premium EBSCO products
- Work directly with product management and your team while analyzing and decomposing complex software requirements into simple user stories for planning and execution.
- Collaborate with your team to estimate the size and complexity of the features. Perform the technical design, implementation, and testing of features and commit to stories to be accomplished in an iteration.
- Be a technical leader for product features, helping ensure that development activities are coordinated throughout the development cycle achieving scalable, automated solutions for our customer base.
- Mentor other engineers on the team in areas of specific expertise.
- Assist other teams or ARTs on tasks in areas where your specific expertise is needed.
- Own system and feature quality throughout the development, testing and deployment phases to ensure quality delivery expectations are met.
- Drive value and build to continuously improve the quality of the team’s deliverables. Authoring well-engineered solutions using test-first/test-driven methodologies.
- Conduct new technology research, proof of concept, and design work that will provide direction for the enhancement of the overall system and products.
- Provide ongoing maintenance, support and enhancements in existing systems and platforms.
- Model and contribute to the continuous improvement of your team.
- Work alongside other software engineers to elevate technology and consistently apply best practices for design, coding standards, performance, security, delivery, and maintainability.
- Demonstrate ownership of developed components from development through production.
- Exemplify the principles behind the Agile Manifesto and SAFe framework in all interactions.
Skills or experience you need
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, MIS, Computer Engineering or other Technical related degree or equivalent experience.
- 4+ years of software development experience in Java or .NET
- 4+ years of experience in large systems software design and development with hands on experience in RESTful API development
- Proficiency with source code management tools such as GitHub
- Proficiency with Agile and/or SAFe methodology
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
Skills or experience that sets you apart
- Advanced Degree in Computer Science, MIS, Computer Engineering or other technical degree
- Deep understanding of cloud native design
- Microservice design and development experience
- Experience delivering public API’s, including style, versioning, evolution, management, gateway
- Strong knowledge and experience applying enterprise patterns to solving business problems
- Experience working with relational and NoSQL databases
- Performance testing strategies and techniques.
- Technical Mastery: Domain Proficiency, Design, Implementation, Continuous Operations
- Product Development: Accountability/Ownership, Innovation, Adaptability to Technologies, Continuous Improvement
- Lean/Agile Mastery: Know Role, Know Practices, Committed to Change, Story Writing, Ceremonies
- Solution Focus: MVP, Resource Optimization, Customer-Focused, Cross Team Influence
- Team over Self: Teamwork, Execution, Communication, Make Others Great, Emotional Intelligence
EBSCO Leadership Competencies:
- Personal: Drive, Positive Attitude, Trust & Respect
- People: Open Communication, Collaboration, Talent Development
- Thought: Strategic Thinking, Critical Thinking, Customer-Focused
- Results: Change Leadership, Continuous Improvement, Execution
- Information Technology
EBSCO Industries, Inc.is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. EBSCO strictly prohibits and does not tolerate discrimination against employees, applicants, or any other covered persons because of race, color, sex (including pregnancy), age, national origin or ancestry, ethnicity, religion, creed, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, training, promotion, discipline, compensation, benefits, and termination of employment.
EBSCO complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), as amended by the ADA Amendments Act, and all applicable state or local law.
View EEO PDF