EBSCO Information Services (EIS) provides a complete and optimized research solution comprised of e-journals, e-books, and research databases - all combined with the most powerful discovery service to support the information needs and maximize the research experience of our end-users. Headquartered in Ipswich, MA, EIS employs more than 2,700 people worldwide, most now working hybrid or remotely. We are the leader in our field due to our cutting-edge technology, forward-thinking philosophy, and outstanding team. EIS is a company that will motivate you, inspire you, and allow you to grow. Our mission is to transform lives by providing relevant and reliable information when, where, and how people need it. We are looking for bright and creative individuals whose unique differences will allow us to achieve this inclusive mission around the world.
As a Senior Software Engineer, you will work on an Agile development team building, testing, and deploying Clinical Decisions solutions that inform the world, advancing research in traditional and emerging fields and transforming learning and education. As a member of an Agile development team, you will design, develop, and demonstrate software in 1- week iterations as part of an Agile Release Train developing to a SAFe Program Increment. You will make commitments to the business and meet those commitments as a team. You will strive for continuous improvement in knowledge, productivity, and display a pattern of continual learning and a desire to broaden your software development and design skills. Seasoned mid-level engineers are encouraged to apply.
What you’ll do
- Provide expertise on system design, implementation, testing and delivery of Java-based microservices to support premium EBSCO products
- Work directly with product management and your team while analyzing and decomposing complex software requirements into simple user stories for planning and execution.
- Collaborate with your team to estimate the size and complexity of the features. Perform the technical design, implementation, and testing of features and commit to stories to be accomplished in an iteration.
- Be a technical leader for product features, helping ensure that development activities are coordinated throughout the development cycle achieving scalable, automated solutions for our customer base.
- Mentor other engineers on the team in areas of specific expertise.
- Assist other teams or ARTs on tasks in areas where your specific expertise is needed.
- Own system and feature quality throughout the development, testing and deployment phases to ensure quality delivery expectations are met.
- Drive value and build to continuously improve the quality of the team’s deliverables. Authoring well-engineered solutions using test-first/test-driven methodologies.
- Conduct new technology research, proof of concept, and design work that will provide direction for the enhancement of the overall system and products.
- Provide ongoing maintenance, support and enhancements in existing systems and platforms.
- Model and contribute to the continuous improvement of your team.
- Work alongside other software engineers to elevate technology and consistently apply best practices for design, coding standards, performance, security, delivery, and maintainability.
- Demonstrate ownership of developed components from development through production.
- Exemplify the principles behind the Agile Manifesto and SAFe framework in all interactions.
Skills or experience you need
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, MIS, Computer Engineering or other Technical related degree or equivalent experience.
- 4+ years of experience in large systems software design and development with hands on experience in RESTful Web Services, HTML, XML/JSON, HTTP, SSL.
- Proficiency with source code management tools such as git.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
Skills or experience that sets you apart
- Advanced Degree in Computer Science, MIS, Computer Engineering or other Technical or Library Science related degree.
- 5+ years of experience in multiple of the following areas:
- Test Driven Development (TDD) and Automated Testing with Junit, Jest, React Testing Library, LoadRunner, JMeter, etc.
- DevOps or automated software deployment.
- Working on an Agile team.
- Web Services lifecycle (design, build, test, deploy), API versioning and design approaches, tools, inter-operability, and SOA concepts.
- Microservices and microservice design patterns.
- Developing automated integration, acceptance, and/or contract driven tests scenarios.
- Performance testing strategies and techniques.
COVID VACCINATION REQUIREMENT: As directed by Executive Order 14042: Ensuring Adequate COVID Safety Protocols for Federal Contractors, all current and newly-hired EIS employees in the United States are required to be fully vaccinated by January 18, 2022 or by their date of hire.
We are an equal opportunity employer and comply with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. We strictly prohibit and do not tolerate discrimination against employees, applicants, or any other covered persons because of race, color, sex, pregnancy status, age, national origin or ancestry, ethnicity, religion, creed, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, training, promotion, discipline, compensation, benefits, and termination of employment. We comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), as amended by the ADA Amendments Act, and all applicable state or local law.