Africatown Redevelopment Corporation (“ARC”) of Mobile, Alabama, seeks an Executive Director. ARC is a 501(c)(3), nonprofit redevelopment corporation established to revitalize housing, preserve the historic community, and attract and develop commerce in the area known as the Africatown Historic District. The Executive Director reports directly to the Board of Directors. The Board of Directors are individuals appointed by the Mobile County Commission and the City of Mobile.
ARC seeks a visionary and dedicated Executive Director with experience, creativity, and a collaborative approach to lead the organization in the successful implementation of its mission. Building on the organization’s neighborhood relationships, committed Board, and stakeholders, the Executive Director will work with the community to advance neighborhood housing and economic priorities, support community residents, and continue efforts to revitalize, preserve and develop commerce in historic Africatown, while respecting the neighborhood’s history, racially and socio-economically diverse community. The successful candidate will have demonstrated success in the areas of nonprofit management, real estate development, equitable community development, community engagement, fundraising, communication, and collaboration.
Key Responsibilities Include:
● Embracing the mission of ARC and engaging and inspiring staff, board members, and other stakeholders in the development of this mission and implementation of ARC’s strategic plan.
● Providing for the long-term stability of ARC by diversifying, growing, and stabilizing funding as well as attracting, retaining, and developing quality staff.
● Providing leadership and guidance in ARC’s efforts to stabilize, preserve and revitalize the historic Africatown community.
● Developing and maintaining effective relationships with community members and stakeholders through proactive and attentive outreach.
● Serving as an effective ambassador and nurturing collaborative relationships with residents, civic and community groups, funders, legislators, the business community and anchor institutions within Africatown and throughout the state.
● Delivering community development services in ARC’s priority areas and striving to meet the unmet needs of the community using in-person and virtual platforms.
● Identifying private and public grant opportunities necessary to support ARC’s mission.
● Ensuring ARC-led community events are well organized and well-executed.
Specific Tasks Include:
Administration and Finance
● Oversee and monitor day-to-day operations and finances, including developing and administering the annual budget, and overseeing the annual audit process.
● Oversee all fiduciary responsibilities by providing required tracking, reporting, communication, and other processes, as required by the Board, stakeholders, and other entities.
● Hire, manage, develop, and evaluate staff and interns; manage professional services including accounting, insurance, consultants, and contractors.
● Provide monthly updates and reports to the ARC Board of Directors.
Fundraising and Development
● Explore, research and make recommendations for potential sources of funding for community development, historic preservation, and development of commerce to sustain the organization and enable it to meet obligations, and develop and fulfill projects in accordance with its mission.
● Cultivate relationships with individuals, institutional, and governmental funding sources.
● Work closely with the Board to develop fundraising strategies.
● Understand and communicate effectively the goals and mission of ARC and its alignment with neighborhood planning and goals.
● Develop (draft and submit) grant proposals and oversee effective implementation of all grant agreement funds based on funding source requirements. Be responsible for all necessary reports and documents being submitted accurately and on time.
● Act as the organization’s spokesperson to press contacts and through speaking engagements.
● Develop strategic financial plans and oversee their implementation.
The Ideal Candidate Should:
● Demonstrate a passion for and successful track record of working in a mix of urban and rural populations in underserved communities.
● Be familiar with and believe in the mission of ARC as well as possess a commitment to serving the Africatown community.
● Have proven leadership experience managing a nonprofit or community development entity.
● Be willing and able to travel abroad and internationally, potentially, to gain support for the mission of ARC.
● Have proven success in grant writing, fundraising, and resource development.
● Possess experience working productively with an engaged Board of Directors.
● Exhibit excellent communication skills and the ability to inspire the trust and confidence of the community members, staff, Board members, and other stakeholders.
● Exhibit personal attributes of professionalism, positivity, respect, good listening skills, problem-solving talents, and the ability to motivate others.
● Convey vision, integrity, courage, intelligence, creativity, energy, and humor equal to the challenges of this demanding and rewarding position.
● 3-5 years of experience in neighborhood development work.
● Bachelor’s degree in relevant field required (public administration, community development). Master’s Degree preferred.
● Experience in staff supervision and the development of high-performing teams.
● Marketing, public relations, and fundraising experience with the ability to engage a wide range of stakeholders.
● Demonstrated ability to attract and sustain philanthropic funding from a variety of sources.
● Strong written and verbal communication skills.
● Demonstrated experience managing multiple projects requiring fine attention to detail.
● Proven ability to work in culturally and ethnically diverse environments. Understanding of race, class, and gender dynamics, and a willingness to work through complex social issues.
● A commitment to equitable community development, ARC’s mission and historic Africatown.
● Willingness to work outside the “9-5” expectation, such as weeknight and weekend commitments.
In order to be considered, potential candidates should submit a cover letter and resume in PDF format to the ARC Search Committee. Candidates with questions about the position or process are encouraged to contact the Search Committee.
This position will remain open until 11:59 P.M. by May 31, 2022. Please include a cover letter, resume, and the names and contact information of three professional references. A criminal background check will be required. Salary depends on experience based on a competitive public interest salary scale. ARC offers generous benefits, including medical, dental, and vision plans; and paid leave.
The Board of Directors seeks to make a final decision in June, 2022, and to have the successful candidate join the organization by July, 2022.
ARC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and persons seeking employment will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender, disability, national origin, sexual orientation, age, or any other consideration prohibited by law.
AfricaTown Redevelopment CorporationMobile , AL